Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wierdo Warnings


All California schools train kids on drills for earthquakes,
but not all worry about what to do if the local damn breaks.
Only last week I learned about one school's wacky plan...
The students are to run to the hills as fast as they possibly can!
Run children... run super duper ridiculously quick!
Now that's an evacuation plan that seems purely mythic.
I couldn't believe anyone would call this a safety measure,
but my source had direct knowledge and didn't say it to be clever.

After learning of this very silly sounding idea for disaster refuge,
I had to see if there were other plans written by a twin stooge.
I didn't have to spend too much time searching the Internet,
before I found another example that I won't soon forget.
I'm hoping this plan has been updated by the military...
I find it's semi-recent spotting in San Diego a bit scary.
I agree with Mr. Harrison  - it's nice they're so optimistic,
but don't they realize it also sounds quite fatalistic?

Lastly I found a photo of this freaky warning sign...
the shock value of the image sent a shiver down my spine.
I think it's a mosquito that's carrying off the stick figure,
a sign idea you'd think would face immediate censure.
Just a glimpse, for a child, could cause complete panic,
as it does for many who are unsure if it's a gimmick.
Hopefully these type of weirdo warnings aren't too commonplace...
if they are I'll need a safety bunker to find my happy place.

© Rachel Hoyt 2010 - 2011

This poem was added to the Poetry Potluck on January 9th, 2011
and won me the Kreativ Blogger award from Jingle Poetry.  :o)

14 comments:

  1. a really fun read.
    have a laugh...enjoy your time...
    Thanks for linking...

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  2. the moments you capture here is so hilarious haha and i like it! here’s my new year potluck- http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/life/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an icebreaker. Made me smile :)

    http://dennisgopoems.blogspot.com/2011/01/on-to-road.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome poem! not only and eye opener but a well crafted interesting piece.

    okay...that is a jaw dropping sign. that signs says to me that you will be carried off to some huge mosquito nest. good grief! I don't know what I would do if I saw a sign like that but I would guess that I wouldn't stick around.

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully written and very amusing (and worrying) to read!

    http://jessicasjapes.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/my-best-friend/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad all my potluck friends are enjoying the rhyme! I'll be over to read all of your links in due time.

    @ Hope - I too was a bit scared by that sign. How could you see it and think you'd be fine?! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the laugh (albeit an uneasy one!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting Lolamouse! I just visited your blog and liked your "travel" poem as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the lovely participation, Happy Tuesday!

    Potluck Week 17 Treat/Awards 4 You, Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jingle! I had already posted the award to my awards page, but have added into this post now too. So far I've received the most love/treats/awards from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, that mosquito sign is terrifying! It makes me think of prehistoric birds with the ability to cart off people...and no amount of running is going to save you from something like that!

    I loved your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Talon - I agree. If I was entering a wilderness area and saw that sign, I'd be searching the sky for flying dinosaurs in no time!

    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this one! Rhymes that tell a story are my favorite! I aspire to be able to tell great stories in rhyme. Thank you as always for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Thanks for visiting one of my older posts! I'm glad you enjoyed my rhyming story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...