Thursday, July 14, 2011

Reach for the Sublime


It's hard to believe NASA's final flight is in orbit
without starting to feel at least a teeny bit morbid.
Of course, the end of any era means the start of a new one
and perhaps future exploration will be even more fun!

Sure, no one else will ever be the first to pee in space
but perhaps someone will build a space vacation place.
Hopefully we will never again get lost on the moon
and someday they'll turn Al and Ed's story into a cartoon.

If ever again an incident involves spacecraft and lightning,
I hope it's a Back to the Future thing and not something frightening.
Though NASA's desire to power up solar didn't work at first,
perhaps they just needed to channel a lightning burst?

The technology we've been using is over thirty years old.
I'm glad we're taking the step to do something more bold.
Though it's fun to reminisce on everything we've seen and done.
Weird creatures shouldn't be the only ones to join the in-flight fun.

If we want ordinary people to someday have the opportunity
to experience the things that now only astronauts get to see,
we will need a vessel at least as modern as a cell phone,
not one from the time when shuttles symbolized "on roam".

It seems only fitting we would share spacecraft for a while,
with the country that helped invent out-of-this-world-style.
Previously a competitor, now our partner in crime.
Together we must now reach toward the sublime.

© Rachel Hoyt 2011.  All rights reserved.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

20 comments:

  1. An astronaut couple was ordered to see

    If sex could be carried out in zero-g.

    The man had some trouble, his face turning red:

    "Houston, we have a dysfunction," he said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment is short, cause I'm scared of heights
    which makes me not very interested in any of NASA's flights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha loved the back to the future use
    Although they'd change stuff and may cause abuse
    So lets hope that doesn't happen at all
    And everything just goes right at their stall
    They were talking on making a gigantic elevator to space
    Now that would but a scary look on anyone's face

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it mandatory now to comment in rhyme
    because I'm really scared I'm out of time
    I'll make it short and hopefully sweet
    and until that day my ET I'll meet
    It will be on the moon
    but sadly won't be soon
    because NASA hasn't invented me a magical broom

    he he x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It simply amazes me when it comes to your poetry talent! That was absolutely great Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the launch on TV the other day. I wasn't clear if it was NASA's final flight, or the final flight of that particular shuttle. Thanks for clearing that up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing poem Rachel! You have such a way with words :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Joey - Thanks for making me LOL! I'm sure someone has tried it. :)

    @Wanda - Very cute rhyming comment. I'm not exactly afraid of heights, but I think I'd be afraid up THAT high! :)

    @Pat Hatt - Glad you like the Back to the Future reference. I also like to throw in a "GREAT SCOTT!!!" here and there. :)

    @SJ - It is definitely not a requirement to comment in rhyme, but you did it in lickety split time! :)

    @Mary - Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the rhyme. :)

    @Bryan - It took me a while to figure out what was happening too. Glad I could also enlighten you. :)

    @ayala - Thank you for the kind words. :)

    @Anna - So sweet of you to say. This poem didn't exactly flow out of me like some others have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. there is a lot of memory here for me.
    i worked on the launches 1 to 54. very sorry there won't be more. i am sad for the ones we loss i knew some of them ate with them and laugh with them. no more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really awesome, it's exciting to see what the future holds

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the thought of a vacation place in space :) Maybe a wonderful future in hand..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who'd have thought you could write a poem about the space program. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, bravo, creative entry.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Roy - Oh wow. I did not know you were connected. I wish space travel wasn't so dangerous.

    @mindlocemisery - It IS exciting to think what the future may hold.

    @Leo - I hope if they DO build a space vacation place, they have a contest for some of us to go there for free! It may be the only way I can go... :)

    @Marbles in My Pocket - Ahhhhh, but you can write a poem about anything. :)

    @Jingle - Thanks for hosting the Poets' Rally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so amazingly fun, well done! You have proved to me that poetry really can be written about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @la fille - Thank you! I do try to choose the strangesr poetry topic possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like to invite you
    to outer space.
    The countdown is now,
    are you ready to race?

    If you get there soon
    you can claim the moon.
    Just save me some cheese,
    will ya' please?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is probably one of the best poems on science , physics, evolution and technology summed together to adhere to the manfunct society..!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @azfree - Don't worry. I'll save you some cheese. Just hurry and get there please. :)

    @Jagring - Awwwwwwwww, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...