Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thoughts on Credit, Fine Print and Aliens

Otiose
by Rachel Hoyt
image by Simon Howden via freedigitalphotos.net


I have a friend who knows a guy
that knew a girl who lived by
this guy Otiose we called Otis
who thought that real life could kiss...

He said fairytales can and do come true.
Credit's there to make life easy for you.
No need to worry about tomorrow.
Risk and buy joy now to squash sorrow.

For a time his plans seemed to be working out.
The stock market showed him love for a bout.
He bought himself a really big fancy house
which he liked to lounge around in like a louse.

Then one day aliens invaded the earth
and took everything that he had of worth
and his insurance refused to reimburse him
and creditors would no longer lend on a whim.

Otiose hadn't bothered to read the fine print,
which would have given him more than a hint.
If he too had believed aliens might steal his stuff,
he would have demanded a warranty more buff.
 
 
If Otiose had bought with cash and not credit,
he might have had his own money to re-get it,
but when those aliens took his beloved computer,
he learned credit and fine print are joy looters.

© 2012 Rachel Hoyt.  All rights reserved.

Each Thursday I post an original rhyme
inspired by thought provoking news of the time.
This week I learned a certain computer warranty
has no alien invasion coverage for thee.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,



16 comments:

  1. Those crappy aliens causing such turmoil across the globe
    But I suppose a little cash is better than the probe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! You are inspiring me with your rhymes. I love rhymes. Although I never thought of using current events/news to create poems for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes me happy to hear I've inspired you. :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. Youre witty , fun and I like both your blogs .Cute. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really enjoyed this poem, I thought the rhyming was adorable, the story was hilarious, and I LOVE the aliens! I also especially enjoy the "no alien invasion coverage"-ness, it makes me wonder what kinds of things should have a warranty but don't...hm...
    In short, I had a good time, reading your rhyme!

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...