Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thursday Thoughts - National Optimism Month

Dream Me a Smile
by Rachel Hoyt


Image by Federico Stevanin via freedigitalphotos.net

I'd had one terrible, awful, bad day -
That day optimism killed my dismay.
Around every corner harm had been lurking.
On every face, I saw frowns and smirking.
I'd gone to bed angry, wishing on a star
That tomorrow would be more up to par.

The second that my head hit the pillow,
My dream of the day began to flow,
Except that it wasn't exactly the same.
Everyone smiled as if they knew my name.
Laughing was heard everywhere
Life felt happy and laissez faire.

I did dribble coffee on my clean shirt,
When Jerry said that he had bought a yurt,
But Jerry laughed at me and I, him,
Then he admitted he'd purchased on a whim.
I didn't get mad that he'd "made me spill"
And he wasn't hurt that I'd "mocked his thrill".

Then we walked together to the corner store
Where I bought a pen that made my stain "no more".
I skipped with joy the two steps down the aisle
Which changed the grumpy cashier's style.
He wasn't angry that I'd used it before paying
And I didn't lie, "I was in the line waiting!"

I did not step in gum outside the library,
Thanks to a timely warning from Jerry.
The librarian still kicked us out due to noise,
But this time laughs (not yells) pricked her poise.
She wasn't mad, just enforcing the rule.
We knew that and magically kept our cool.

By the time I awoke, I'd relived the whole day
Acting just slightly happier along the way.
Somehow the day seemed to go smoother,
Making optimism seem like a maneuver -
One that I planned to try out in real life
To see if it really could make good days rife.

© 2012 Rachel Hoyt.  All rights reserved.

15 comments:

  1. Optimism sometimes escapes me
    But I usually let it fill me with glee
    Never knew there was such a month though
    And as usual great rhymes at your show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Optimism sometimes escapes me too! I have to work at it just like you. :)

      Delete
  2. The combination of words are really great....very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having one of those weeks, but that photo above put a smile back on my face. thanks for the poem. (i haven't written anything new, just stopping by.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a little funny about using a dog photo when the story is about a person, but he was just too cute to pass up (I thought). I'm glad he put a smile on your face! :)

      Delete
  4. Perfect uplifting Rhyme....You have a great talent with that, and many other things I understand. Loved the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you sweetie. I love to rhyme but do enjoy other creative things sometimes... also I kinda felt this story should have gone longer but ran out of time. I'm glad you think it's perfect. :)

      Delete
  5. Story in a rhyme so very well told. Made me smile and as always loved visiting here : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kriti! I'm glad the story made you smile. Making all of you smile makes ME smile! :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely poem....Ya ...optimism I would alos like to say in tune with you
    "Making optimism seem like a maneuver -
    One that I planned to try out in real life
    To see if it really could make good days rife."
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Optimism takes effort sometimes... a lot of the time... well, if you're me it does. :) I'm glad you liked the poem. I hope you join the optimism journey. :)

      Delete
  7. LOL! Optimism month! What's a pessimist like me to do? :)

    Fun poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm sure they made a month for you. :)

      Delete
  8. Just dropping over to say "hi" and that I enjoyed your poem! Smiling . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...