Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wacky Word Wednesday - Pusillanimous

Pusillanimous
by Rachel Hoyt

image by David Castillo Domanici via freedigitalphotos.net
Pusillanimous rhymes with unanimous
but implies that fear lives within us.
Yes, cowardly is a word that's synonymous
with this one you won't hear on the bus -
it's pretentious cousin, pusillanimous.

© 2012 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.

 Every week I rhyme and define a new wacky word.
Come on over to indulge your inner nerd.
And, please let me know of any weird words you've heard.

9 comments:

  1. Well Rachel...that is certainly one that I have never heard before LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either and I found it in a book called "test words everyone should know". LOL. Somehow I managed to do ok on the SATs etc without knowing many many of these words. :)

      Delete
  2. I thought it was too many cats or too many pussy's. I know which one I'd prefer, did I just say that? OK goodnight

    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Perhaps that is the slang definition? :P Sleep well!

      Delete
  3. Oh, boy! One I've heard before! It's actually used by the Wizard in "The Wizard of Oz" when he speaks of "pusillanimous creatures". Can't tell I've watched that movie a bazillion times! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great reference Martha! I haven't watched that movie in quite a while and don't remember him saying that. Now I want to watch it again. :)

      Delete
  4. This was a vocabulary word on my teacher's desk.
    I would hang out there when I was being a pest.
    I think there's a derivative word, shorter than that,
    or maybe it's a reference to a cuddly cat.

    (You know the word I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Yes, I know what you mean. :) Who knew this was the true root of the popular phrase? :P

      Delete
  5. Ah, excellent. Per usual.

    ReplyDelete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...