Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thursday Thoughts - Oh Canada, Where's the Syrup?

 
image by Paul via freedigitalphotos.net
 
Farewell Maple Syrup, my sweet friend!

On your dulcet joy, I once did depend,
But Canada's stockpile will need to mend,
$30 million worth is what I'm told.

I want to help make sure that kids,
Don't have to fuss or flip their lids,
Because their mom could not afford,
Liquid gold which they knew not to hoard.

Careless Canada should not feel bad.
I was planning to diet. I am not mad.
I won't be having waffles or pancakes,
Nor dripping syrup on my oatmeal or cornflakes.

I will not need sauce for any french toast.
I can skip drizzling gold on top of my pork roast.
I feel for my 'neighbors', high up north. I know,
These mishaps are the way 'things' sometimes show.

I will let you get going - syrup stealers to snare.
Coping with this type of market must be tough to bear.
Perhaps it is now sold as 'homemade'? (It happens.)
For what it's worth, I feel your pain and so do sales of napkins.

Watch out for guys named Rosco and those with Hamburglar style!

Sincerely,

Rachel Hoyt
of Rhyme Me a Smile
 
 
© 2012 Rachel Hoyt. All rights reserved.
Technorati Tags: , , , ,
 
 
Read more rhymes by Rachel at her new column, Clickety Clack -
poetic news about Santa Barbarians talking back

15 comments:

  1. Canada doesn't have a monopoly on the stuff!

    Lots of maple syrup available from states like Vermont, Maine, Michigan, etc.

    (Hmm... never thought of hijacking a maple syrup truck before... nah, that's too much for me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to one of the articles I read, Canada has a monopoly:

      "Quebec is responsible for between 70-80% of the world`s production of maple syrup, and two-thirds of the Canadian production exported to the United States. In addition, several American states saw a very low, indeed catastrophic, harvest during the 2012 season. The Quebec harvest, however, remained normal. The Federation`s maple syrup inventories supply markets during periods of weaker harvests and can, therefore, be considered a global strategic reserve"

      Delete
    2. But yeah... what ARE they going to do with all that syrup? :)

      Delete
  2. I could think of something better to steal.
    Gold? Pound Notes? Gift certificates for Red Lobster? I can only imagine what they need that much syrup for. I'm imagining a large quantity is needed for their underground bikini wrestling circuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems much easier to steal syrup though and you may be on to something with this bikini wrestling idea. LOL

      Delete
  3. I think this is one of my all time favorites that you've written. So humorous and clever! I guess the price of maple syrup will be rising . . . :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIG thank you, Martha! I didn't rank this poem quite as high in my records, but it was fun to write. :) I do think the price of syrup will be raising. Good thing I stole a bite of my sister's waffle last weekend before I gave up syrup! :P

      Delete
  4. Oh what will my grandkids do, they eat everuthingwith syrup...well all morning food. I wont miss it like you I have given it up. This is a great one Rachel..<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! I knew I was giving up my syrup for the kids. :) Glad you liked it Jan.

      Delete
  5. A few typos you might want to address:

    "Syrup stealer's" should be "syrup stealers" (no apostrophe).

    "Tough to bare" should be "tough to bear".

    "Hamburgerler" should be "Hamburgler".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I'm embarrassed I didn't catch those sooner. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Good poem. I hadn't heard that news item! Too busy watching political conventions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. I was watching those too. There is definitely more important news, but it's good to take a break from the serious stuff too. :)

      Delete
  7. well seems like all the sweet things will be gone soon: no bees for the honey and no syrup either :-(
    brilliant poem though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many sweet things will be gone if we lose the bees. I think the syrup industry will recover though. :)

      Thank you for the compliment and the tweet! :)

      Delete

Rhyming or not, I would like a lot to hear the thoughts my words brought...